Friends of Peninsula State Park is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization supporting the interpretive, historical, educational and visitor service programs of Peninsula State Park in Fish Creek, Wisconsin.
We provide volunteers to assist the Park:
- Helping to eradicate invasive species such as garlic mustard and European honeysuckle within the Park.
- Providing volunteers to assist in the Nature Center throughout the summer and fall.
- Providing volunteers to help with programs put on by Park staff, such as the Candlelight Ski, Talking Tombstones and Spooktacular
- Providing volunteers to assist in the Door County Half-Marathon and the Door County 50-mile Run.
We provide financial assistance to Peninsula State Park through membership fees, donations and the sale of educational merchandise.
- Hosted the first annual “Golf Classic” event in conjunction with the Peninsula Golf Association
- Award a Friends research grant to do a survey of the federally-threatened Dwarf Lake Iris colonies within the Park
- Approved a new 10% discount to Friends for all merchandise sold at Park headquarters and the Nature Center
- Developed plans to renovate the White Cedar Nature Center, adding indoor bathrooms, additional visitor space and much needed storage.
During 2012, we volunteered over 1,300 hours and helped in the following areas:
- Helped to purchase ski trail grooming equipment. More than 2,000 skiers use our trails annually.
- Provided the necessary funds to pay a summer invasive species coordinator.
- Provided the funds to hire a summer naturalist. Each year, we have more than a million visitors.
- Established three endowment funds to insure the present and future needs of Peninsula State Park. Learn more about these funds.
- Provided necessary funds to purchase Nature Center program supplies and other interpretive material, including a new television and audio system.
- Provided partial funds for the new bathrooms at Nicolet Bay Beach.
Friends of Peninsula State Park have established three endowments designed to support the park into the future. Learn more…